The 4th of July is quickly approaching and you’re trying to figure out what you’re going to bring to the potluck… Don’t even worry, your favorite sweet recipe source has you covered!
This Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake is a show stopper and a potluck MVP. Perfectly lemony with fresh picked sweet blueberries from our friends at Sleepy Hollow Farm in Powder Springs, GA. There is nothing like fresh picked berries they’re the absolute best!
The moist, sweet and sour combination this cake offers is like no other. I took this cake to a recent gathering and I was literally TOLD I was not allowed to leave this families life after they ate their first piece. HAHA!
This recipe has quite a few instructions so, I would suggest reading the entire recipe before starting. I promise the work will definitely be worth the reward. In the past, I sold this cake at my local farmers market and I could never keep it on the table. Good eats, indeed!
A Few Tips:
1.Use REAL lemons. I don’t want to see anyone using those little plastic lemon squeeze bottles. Why? Well, it doesn’t taste like lemon at all…and it’s weird. If you put in the work by zesting and juicing your own lemons your taste buds will be instantly gratified.
2. Rinse, dry, and toss your blueberries in flour. Flouring fresh berries will make sure they are evenly distributed throughout the cake. The same thing goes for muffins.This ensures blueberries will be in every bite.
3. Do not skip the lemon simple syrup. Simple syrup is what takes the cake to the next level. The warm cake soaks up the lemon simple syrup and makes it even more moist and adds more of a fresh lemon tart taste.
Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Cheers!
*adapted from GranbabyCakes*
3 cups all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup (set aside)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
2 sticks softened (1 cup) unsalted butter
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
Zest of 2 lemons
8oz sour cream
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 pint fresh blueberries
Fresh Lemon Simple Syrup:
1/4 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups powder sugar
2TBS whole milk
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2tsp lemon extract
- Pre-heat oven to 325°. Spray your favorite large bundt cake pan with non-stick baking spray, generously. Set aside.
- In a large bowl measure 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift together.
- Mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add lemon zest, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and lemon juice to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix just until it comes together.
- Add eggs to your mixture one at a time until there is no visible trace of the egg. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Alternating, add flour and sour cream. Starting and ending with the flour mixture until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Toss fresh blueberries in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. gently fold berries into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 1hr 15 – 1hr 25 mins or until toothpick comes out free of cake batter.
- Let cool for 15-20mins. Remove cake from pan.
While the cake is baking this is a good time to make your lemon simple syrup
Lemon Simple Syrup
- In a small sauce pan add all the ingredients and let them come to a boil until sugar dissolves. About 3 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- Brush lemon simple syrup onto warm cake
- Add powder sugar, milk, and lemon extract to a bowl
- Mix in lemon juice until the glaze resembles the texture of honey
- Pour over cooled cake