Is carrot cake equal to the southern staple, hummingbird cake? The world may never know…but this cake has been called hummingbird many times. However, in my house this is clearly carrot cake. Fight me on this if you want….you won’t win!
Let’s talk about my personal criteria for a successful carrot cake:
- Must be moist. Isn’t this a given for any cake? This cake gets extra points for being moist due to the butter, oil, and applesauce that keeps this cake nice and soft without being oily.
- Load that bad boy up! I mean throw everything but the kitchen sink in my carrot cake. Nothing grinds my gears more than getting a slice of carrot cake with a few unrecognizable specks of carrot and that’s it. Seriously, I want my slice to have some weight. Side Note: I would totally add a cup of coconut to this cake but Mr. K dispises anything coconut related. Pro Tip: Use golden raisins they’re milder in flavor and have thin skin…and in my opinion, they look better in the cake.
- Cream Cheese Icing Is Required. Period. My recipe is delicious with the perfect consistency to pipe a few rosettes on your cake if you desire.
- Don’t skip the dried pineapple! It gives this cake the secret ingredient that people can’t quite put their finger on but, keeps them wanting more. I usually purchase mine at Trader Joes very inexpensively or you can also purchase them from here on Amazon.
This cake always gets me into my spring baking mood. It’s a favorite at Easter Sunday Dinner or a special occasion like birthdays! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my friends and family do.
Let’s get started!
Loaded Carrot Cake
Ultra moist carrot cake filled with lots of goodies including pineapple.
Carrot Cake Ingredients:
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature not melted
- 12 oz 1 1/2 blocks cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan or two 8in round pans.
Beat the eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth
Mix the melted butter, oil and applesauce in a large measuring cup. With the mixer running, slowly add the oil mixture to your egg mixture. Beat until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three parts, stirring to make a smooth batter.
Fold in the carrots, raisins, nuts, and pineapple.
Pour the batter into the pan(s), spreading it to the edges.
Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
In a mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese until combined.
Add vanilla and gradually add confectioners sugar.
Combine until all sugar is incorporated and icing is at desired thickness.
Spread desired amount on cake… ENJOY!