Let’s say “Somebody” (me) loves vacation… Especially a beach vacation. So, anytime I get a chance to make sweets that remind me of vacation I’m all over it.
This is the most easiest recipe I’ve made in a long time. It is on the sweeter side of the dessert spectrum however, you only need one or two to curb your sweet tooth. It has the most simple ingredients and considered gluten free because it contains no flour. However, it does not lack in the sugar department.
So let’s get the luau started!! With these simple ingredients:
The yummy jam came from my friends over at Bettie’s Blueberry Jams & Jellies, LOVE their products! Our fresh eggs came from our good friends Al and Dorothy at our local farmers market. I really love to shop local you can get the freshest, yummiest things! I encourage you to shop and eat local.
A few pointers: Drain your pineapples VERY well. I used a fine strainer and pushed the juice through with the back of a spatula.
- 14oz sweetened shredded coconut
- 14oz sweetened condensed milk
- 8oz crushed pineapple (drained well)
- 2 large egg whites (at room temp)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- OPTIONAL: Your favorite island inspired jam
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Thoroughly drain juice from pineapple
- Combine vanilla extract and condensed milk in a large bowl, then add coconut and pineapple.
- Beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form (smooth and frothy), If you over beat your egg will appear curdled
- Fold your egg whites into the coconut mixture
- Use a cookie scoop and drop batter onto your prepared cookie sheet
- Bake for 25mins or until the edges of your macaroon are golden brown.
- BONUS: While warm push down the center with the back of a spoon and add your favorite jam. I used pineapple mango… DELISH!
Cool and Enjoy!